What to do with leftover Banana Biscuits?
I was alone in the house when I made them, which means, contrary to what one might think, I did not eat them all. I also happened to have a supply of leftover ham. It would not have occurred to me, under normal circumstances, to combine ham and banana. But something told me that it just might work. From that point on, I tried not to think too much.
Cooking is sometimes a little like sports – you have to get in the zone. Let your senses do the work – smell, taste, feel …. bake.
Sometimes, if you are lucky, there will be magic. This was one of those times, if I do say so myself. The hint of banana, combined with the smoky ham and sweet/tangy mustard, is perfect. Make some of these for your next party or book club or just a leisurely weekend breakfast at home.
>>> Click here to download a printable version.
Banana Ham Swiss Biscuit Sandwich
(aka The Best Biscuit Sandwich Ever)
- 6 large Banana Biscuits
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ lb ham, diced
- 1 cup shredded good quality swiss cheese
- ¼ cup Honey Baked Ham hickory mustard (or any honey mustard)
- 4 T. butter, melted, divided into two
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. poppy seeds
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scramble eggs and divide into six parts. Do not overcook the eggs.
- Slice biscuits. Place bottoms of biscuits close together on parchment paper.
- Combine mustard and onion powder with 2 T. of butter.
- Spread mustard mixture on both tops and bottoms of biscuits.
- Cover bottom halves of biscuits with half of swiss cheese and all of the ham.
- Spread scrambled eggs over ham.
- Top with swiss cheese.
- Put tops of biscuits on top of cheese.
- Brush tops of biscuits with remaining 2 T. melted butter mixed with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and run a knife between the biscuits to make sure they are separated.
- Share them with someone you love.